RSS

M a m a ' s S h o e s



                                 1940
                                Sylvia
    I open the closet door and hang n1y wedding dress next to the dress I wore to n1y 1nama's funeral, and then 1ny daddy's, not two weeks later.Its blue softness slips through n1y fingers. I count the tiny pearl buttons at the neckline, dyed to n1atch the dress. There are ten. I pick up the box that holds n1y wedding shoes, my first high heels. I look down at n1y feet and wiggle n1y toes encased in saddle oxfords - a school girl's shoes.
    I sit on 1ny bed and place the shoebox beside me. My hand rests
on the faded log cabin quilt and I ren1ember it on Mama's bed. When
she and Daddy died, I put the quilt on my bed, and sleeping under it
comforts 1ne. I open the box, lift a shoe out of the tissue paper, and hold it up to a spot of sunlight hovering over the bed. A giggle escapes my lips as I kick off n1y shoes and slip on n1y high heels. I sashay out of the roon1, adn1iring the tap, tap, tap rising off the floorboards.
    "Sylvia, do you want to be a young n1an's slave or an old man's
darling?" Gaines Richardson said when he proposed to n1e. I know
everybody thinks he's too old for n1e and that l'n11narrying hin1 because I have no fa1nily left. But that's not true. I may just be six teen, but life in these 1nountains has brought me up hard and fast. I could get on the bus tomorrow and head to Seattle, Washington and live with Aunt H at, but l'n1 going to n1arry Gaines and live happily ever after just like a fairy tale.
    I am not like the won1.en in Coal Valley, content to live in the
hollers and raise a bunch of young'uns until life wears 1ne out and I
beco1ne old and wrinkled before I'm thirty. And Gaines is not like the
1nen in Coal Valley he has a1nbition.
    Scratching out a living in the coaln1.ines will not do for Gaines
Richardson . Together, we are going to travel across the United States
until vve reach the ocean. Tonight I will sleep on R ock House Mountain
for the last tin1.e. To1norrow, I start n1.y new life.
    


  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment